Wednesday, July 3, 2013

No Decisions Please

Last weekend I went away with 4 of my best friends for a Girls' Trip.  We've done a similar trip for the last 9 years.  After that many years we've really perfected it and have found the perfect ratios of sightseeing, sleeping, eating, drinking, with plenty of talking and laughing.

My very favorite aspect of the trips is that I refuse to make any decisions.  As we begin to plan the trip, I share my schedule and preferred dates but beyond that, I shut my mouth.  I will go anywhere and do anything as long as I don't have to decide on it.

My ordinary days are full of decisions.

Wake up early to exercise?
How long should I go?
Do I have time before the girls need to wake up?
Shower before or after they wake up?
What should I wear?
What to eat for breakfast?
Do I let them sleep or wake them up? What do we have going on today?
How should I structure the day? Do we have errands or appointments?
Do I let the Ya-ya and Sparky stay home if they don't want to come along?
Do I fight with Pixie about what she wants to wear? (Tthe same dress for 3 days)
Which store?
What is the best way to get there?
What to buy?
Does that cost too much?
If I adjust my budget, where do I take the money from?
Do I fight a battle with Pixie about walking alone or let it be? (Can you tell she's 3?)
Do we have time to do one more errand before we need to get home for lunch?
What will I fix for lunch?

And by that time it's what- only noon??
Making that many decisions is exhausting.  Granted, most of them are not earth shattering or of any great meaning, but it is like being pecked to death by chickens.  

So, the annual Girls' Trip is my chance to pass off all decisions to someone else.  This trip we went to Philadelphia and I made no decisions.  Well, I did decide what to pack- although I tried to have my friend Jennifer come over to pack for me.  I will go to any tourist attraction or site, eat at any restaurant, and follow any schedule as long as I don't have to decide on it.  This trip was even better because two of the nights we went to restaurants and had the chef's tasting menu so I didn't even have to decide on my meals.  I love that the other 4 in the group will step up and plan a great trip.  I am grateful that they make all the decisions. 

It was bliss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment